The 9th of September 2013 marks the 75th Anniversary of the formation of the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS).
The Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) was formed on 9 September 1938 by order of George VI. More than 250,000 women, one of the most famous being the then Princess Elizabeth who was commissioned in March 1945, wore the un iform of the ATS during World War II. They served in most of the overseas theatres of operation as well as in the defence of the United Kingdom, particularly in Anti Aircraft Command. They also served as drivers, orderlies, store women and cooks. Seventy two were killed in action and 313 were wounded. By the end of World War II it was acknowledged that women would be a valuable asset to a peacetime army. Women continued to serve on emergency engagements in the ATS whilst plans were formulated for a regular Women’s Corps.