WRAC ASSOCIATION GRAND REUNION 2019
(incorporating QMAAC and ATS Comrades Association)
Friday 22 March – Sunday 24 March 2019
The Grand Harbour Hotel, Southampton, SO15 1AG
For information on the WRAC Evensong at Guildford Cathedral on 1st February 2019 click here.
For the Association’s Centenary Year, the Grand Reunion is being held in Southampton and promises to be yet another memorable and highly enjoyable weekend. In recognition of the Association’s Centenary, and it’s very close links with both the City and Cathedral of Guildford, we are pleased to be holding a formal Reception in the Cathedral to start the whole weekend. We very much hope you will be able to attend.
The occasion not only provides a wonderful opportunity to meet up with old friends but also gives the chance to make new ones; remember – “There are no strangers here, only friends you haven’t yet met”. Southampton is one of the largest cities on the south coast and now home to a bustling and busy cruise-ship port. It also has a huge selection of shops, cafes
Using the Grand Harbour Hotel as our event
- Morning arrival
- 10.00 Association Welcome Desk opens (and staffed to 12.45)
- 13.00 approx. Coaches leave for Guildford Cathedral
- 15.00/30 Coaches arrive at Guildford Cathedral
- 15.30 All guests to have arrived Guildford Cathedral
- 15.45 VIP guests arrive Guildford Cathedral
- 16.00 Reception commences, Guildford Cathedral, with VVIP guests, to mark the Association’s Centenary
- 17.30/18.00 Return coaches leave for Southampton
- 20.30 Buffet Dinner with fancy dress (‘Wonderful Women’ – optional) and disco
- 01.00 Disco ends and bar closes
- 14.00 AGM
- 17.00 approx. Beating Retreat by The Yorkshire Military Band (at the Grand Harbour Hotel) prior to Gala Dinner
- 18.30 Pre Dinner Drinks
- 19.30 Gala Dinner with invited VIP Guests
- 10.30 Drumhead Service (in Grand Harbour Hotel)
In order to cement our relationship with Guildford and its Cathedral, as the Association’s ‘Mother city and church’, we will be holding a Canapes Reception in the Nave of Guildford Cathedral to start the whole weekend off in style. We are pleased to confirm that we will welcome VVIP guests to this late afternoon Reception.
It is for this reason that we are laying on coach transport from Southampton to Guildford, and back, and the timings are such that we get everyone to Guildford in plenty of time for the Reception, and then back to the hotel for dinner etc.
You are welcome to join the weekend at the Cathedral, but you will need to make your own way onto Southampton at the Reception’s conclusion. Additionally, if you are only able to join us for the Reception that will be wonderful, at £25 per Association Member (£30 per Non-member), including refreshments but not transport.
Saturday: will follow the usual Grand Reunion programme schedule of:
Morning – for you to relax, enjoy ‘retail’ (or other) therapy, or visit historic Southampton
Afternoon – Annual General Meeting
Evening – Beating Retreat
Dancing to the Yorkshire Military Band
Sunday: again, will follow the usual Grand Reunion format of:
Morning – Drumhead service (in the hotel)
Followed by parade local to the Grand Harbour Hotel
After which you are free to leave for home, or whatever plans you have made.
You are responsible for making your own way to and from Southampton. The Grand Harbour Hotel is under a mile from Southampton Central railway station.
However, we are providing coach transport Friday afternoon/evening to take you from Southampton to Guildford Cathedral and back. We are also working with a Hampshire community project to provide accessible transport if you require it – so please let us know on the Booking Form.
If you wish to join the Reunion at Guildford Cathedral, that is fine, but you will need to make your own way onto Southampton when the Reception ends.
The Grand Harbour Hotel
Members are responsible for making their own accommodation arrangements and bookings, wherever that may be. The Grand Harbour Hotel is offering the following nightly rates, subject to availability:
Single Occupancy room from £109 including breakfast
Double/Twin Occupancy Room from £120 including breakfast
To Book the Grand Harbour Hotel, call direct on 023 8063 3033. Bookings open 22nd October. Go to their website www.grandharbourhotel.co.uk for more information on the hotel.
If you are unable to book a room at the Grand Harbour Hotel, do not wish to pay the advertised room rates, or would rather make your own arrangements, please do not let this put you off attending the Grand Reunion. Southampton has a very wide selection of alternative accommodation available. Nearby accommodation providers include: Holiday Inn, Premier Inn, Travelodge and Ibis. There is also a range of local B&Bs. For further details contact the Southampton Tourist Information Centre via www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/visit/accommodation or phone 02380-221106.
The dining room will be laid out with tables of 10. There is space on the application form to indicate your seating preference, please do not delay your application if you are not yet sure who you wish to sit with. Final seating requests can be submitted up until Mon 18 February 2019
Yet again we will be running a Grand Draw with some fabulous cash prizes to be won, tickets are £1 each. You should have received a book of 5 tickets with this copy of Lioness.
- Don’t forget to include payment for any tickets purchased with your Grand Reunion payment.
- You don’t need to be attending the Grand Reunion to take part in the Draw, anyone can participate in the Grand Draw and if you are successful we will post your prize to you.
- If you would like to purchase more tickets you can do so via HQ WRAC Association by post, phone (0300 400 1992) or online at www.wracassociation.org/shop.
The cost of the weekend is £65 per person (WRAC Association members only). This includes;
- Friday late afternoon Canape Reception, Guildford Cathedral
- Coach transport to:from Southampton and Guildford Cathedral
- Friday evening themed Buffet Dinner with entertainment and limited wine on the table;
- Saturday afternoon AGM
- Saturday evening Beating Retreat
- Gala Dinner – pre dinner drinks, 3-course dinner, decorations and limited wine on the table, entertainment
- Sunday morning Drumhead service and Parade
The full weekend’s rate is a flat rate charge which cannot be reduced.
However, if you plan to attend just the Friday evening Cathedral Reception there is a separate price of £25.00 (£30 for Non-members) (including drinks and canapes, but not transport or accommodation).
This year, as a first, if you are not an Association Member you can apply to attend the Grand Reunion. However, places are limited and will be allocated to Members first. Prices for Non-members are: Guildford Cathedral Reception only £30. Full weekend £130
Full Weekend and Guildford Cathedral Reception-only ticket:
If you cancel –
- up to, and including, 31 January 2019 – Full refund of sums paid to HQ WRAC Association
- between 01 February 2019 and 28 February 2019 – 50% refund per person
- on or after 01 March 2019 – No refund for cancellations.
Accommodation – Individuals are responsible for their own accommodation booking, payment, and any associated cancellation charges. Check your accommodation providers cancellation policy before you book
It may be worth you considering taking out travel insurance if you are concerned about possibly cancelling the Event and/or Accommodation